Wednesday, January 14, 2015

::Threads & Textiles:: 4 Ways to Wear a Skirt






Hello friends! 

I've always been a fan of holding on to a versatile piece and using it in multiple looks. Well, let's be honest...that's just how I use clothes. I've always had limited funds, so I make it work with what I've got, and I hold on to pieces for a good while. Like that patchwork skirt we're going to be talking about today. That thing has been around since high school! Like, what?! When I start thinking about how long ago that was I get a little sad. But, let's move on. haha! 

This skirt has been in my closet, and has traveled with my to 3 different living arrangements. This thing is well traveled, and well loved. So, over the years, and over the miles...I've figured out about a thousand different outfits to go along with one piece. A lot of my wardrobe is like this and I wanted to share a little bit of my thought process when choosing outfits. I hope you guys get a little bit of a this, and enjoy the outfits! Do you guys like to play with layering pieces? 



PhotoGrid_1420923479411

PhotoGrid_1420923055280

This skirt at first doesn't look like it could go with much but playing with patterns and layering can transform a crazy piece like this into something much tamer. It's all about contrast! Also, the elastic and the drawstring make it super versatile. You can wear it low on your hips, or up on your natural waist. I love skirts that you can do that with, gives you twice the outfits. You've got to think outside the box, and look at your clothes differently to get as much wear out of them as possible. 

The first outfit is a super comfy one. I would wear this one to go out with Friends, or go to the store. I grabbed my favorite slouchy tee shirt just to throw it over top of a multi-colored sports bra that is acting like a cami, so I don't feel over exposed. Pair it with a chunky necklace, and a sweet patchwork bag or any other big slouchy bag. I threw my hair up too for an effortless vibe. This look is all about comfort and easy. You can wear it with or without a sweater. I chose to grab one, but just tie it around my waist...ya know, in case I get chilly later! :) 

PhotoGrid_1420923229100
PhotoGrid_1420922733114
PhotoGrid_1420922666742


This next look I would wear to a festival or maybe out to eat with Bryan. It's still comfy but it's got more of a sexy feel too it. I feel good in this one! This look relies heavily on layering, and big patterns to tame what on their own would be some insanely bold patterns. But, when you throw them all together you create contrast, depth, and texture. I really like to play with patterns, and textures within the color scheme I'm going with. That's another great way to play an outfit....color schemes. Choose a pallet you want to work with, say purples and golds...find things in your closet that fits that and see what goes well. Don't be afraid to mix up things that you normally wouldn't or maybe a piece that you've been holding on to that you just don't know how to wear. Be bold, and don't be afraid to create something new. 

PhotoGrid_1420922639724
PhotoGrid_1421088189543 PhotoGrid_1421088164482 PhotoGrid_1420922613887


I've been told on multiple occasions, and by multiple different people that I look like a kinder-garden teacher in this next outfit. I still don't see it haha! I live in sweaters, and this is my favorite sweater matched with my favorite dress. I'm pretty certain I've had this dress since 2006. It's starting to get pretty thin, so I like to layer it over other thin dresses or skirts. This one works perfectly with the skirt in question :P I would wear this on a coffee date with one of the gals, or maybe one of my gays. I can see this outfit working well for a day shopping or even (my) work. Hella comfy, but still sweet.

Layering thinner dresses over either another dress or skirt is a great way to add another life to each piece. It can also keep you warm in these cold months. And, if you live in a bipolar city, like Pittsburgh, its a great way to adapt to the crazy weather changes. It allows you so strip a layer or two if it gets too warm or the bottom gets wet in a random rain storm. Gotta be prepared, girls! Also, like we were talking before, contrast...adding accessories to your outfit can also add depth and distraction from a bold pattern. I'm a big fan of a flower crown any time of the year, and a super sweet leather bag with mountains on it ain't bad either. Layer on those necklaces too, babes!! A La, Janis Joplin for sure....


PhotoGrid_1420922980435
PhotoGrid_1420922962208
PhotoGrid_1420923023733
PhotoGrid_1420922934069


Today's final outfit is a fancy one! An surprisingly, the fancies items were either thrifted or given to me by friends. You can be a goddess on a budget, just gotta be a bit of a huntress first! Talk about contrast too. Thanks to the amazing bright red Indian inspired blouse the funky patchwork of the skirt is almost unseen. Any nice, bright blouse can be thrown over a skirt to add some class. Throw in a nice scarf, a drippy necklace, and a big bright flower crown if you're feeling bold! I'd wear this one to a concert, or a family party. This kind of outfit could also be good for a day in the city or an art event. Are you braver than me, and can wear heels? Throw on a chunky wedge in a bright matching color for extra height and femininity. And, don't forgot a good bag! I got this one at an antique shop in Belleview for $5. I feel like this and the thrifted red shirt were born to be together! 

PhotoGrid_1420922916175
PhotoGrid_1420922898359
PhotoGrid_1420922880719
PhotoGrid_1420923171256
PhotoGrid_1420923199251


Well, I hope you guys enjoyed this post, and got something out of it! I'm no professional stylist by any means, but I do love fashion and making outfits! These are just things that I personally do, and outfits that I've either worn or plan to wear in the future. I would never post something that I didn't feel passionate about. Any woman can be a fashion goddess with the clothes already in her closet. Just take a second look at what you've got, or grab $20 and a few of your gal to go thrifting! You'll be amazed what you can come up with!! Did you guys like this post? Would you like to see more posts like this? Let me know down in the comments!! 

xo. holly erinn 

No comments:

Post a Comment