Wednesday, August 12, 2015

::The Jukebox:: Courtney Barnett


Hello friends, 

It's been a hot minute since we listened to some tunes together. This week's spotlight is a new voice I heard on the radio a few weeks ago. At first, I really wasn't into Courtney's music. She has more of a spoken word feel to her songwriting. Usually, that's not my style. I love a good melody that flows and you can sing out to. Though, after a few more listens she started worming her way into my head, and I found myself singing this song after I turned off the radio. In a market flooded with pretty little song birds, Courtney Barnett sets herself apart with her almost monotone voice and upbeat guitar licks. Her lyrics are playful, and truly make you listen to what she's saying. Words can often get lost in a sea of over produced, sugary melodies and drum beats; but Courtney is able to set herself apart with intelligent wordplay and simple songwriting. It's kind of brilliant what she's doing. 

Give it a listen, and let me know what you think down in the comments!! 

xo. holly erinn 


No comments:

Post a Comment