Thursday, March 5, 2015

::Life Post:: Finding Peace with Depression pt.2


Hello friends, 

It's been a while since we've talked about depression. My first post was a great post for me. It got me to look closer at how I deal with my own depression, and the simple ways I've learned to cope. It's taken me a long time to be honest with myself about my depression, and to find good ways to take care of myself. My mental health comes first for me now. And, over the years I've learned that it is very important to take care of one's mind, and the rest becomes much easier to handle. I am glad to report that there have been more good days than bad of recent. That is a such a welcome treat. As you begin to know yourself, and ways to heal yourself it becomes easier to figure out the ways to have good days. These simple distractions become aids to the good days. 

Of course, as I've said in the past...these tips, tricks, or what have you may not work for everyone. These are things that I do to calm myself. I am in no way a therapist, doctor, or counselor but I personally handle a life with depression. Everyone's life is different and and everyone's depression is different. Get to know yourself, and you'll start to understand what works for you. Positive self reflection is key. 


Take a Walk

The above photo is from last spring. The warm weather just calls to me. Bryan and I love taking walks around the neighborhood with the kiddo. Bryan takes photos, and Landon and I chase each other and play on the jungle gym. And, then there's day when I love taking walks on my own. Something about slowly strolling around the streets that you see everyday in a new perspective is really eyeopening. The gentle sounds of neighborhood cars, the kids playing up the street, and other simple sounds of the city are actually pretty calming. It's a pretty common notion that 'going for a walk' is a great way to clear your head. When things get a little to over whelming, throw on those shoes and walk around the block a few times. 


Sharp pencils are happy pencils. Working on a secret project. Can't wait til Saturday to reveal it! :D XOXO Holly  #secretproject #summer #art #illustration #fbloggers #lbloggers #beauty #hippie #lifestyleblogger #fatshion #plussize #curvy #summerstyle #i

Get Crafty- Find a Hobby

Nothing is better (to me) than losing yourself in a craft, or hobby. Some people read, some people write, and some people knit. I have so many hobbies,and sometimes it's a little hard to keep them all straight. I also get bored very easily. It's very calming to lose yourself in the monotony and the repetitiveness of crafty, and artistry. And, there's so many crafts to choose from, an endless array of handmade goodness. From drawing to crocheting to clay to scrap booking, as far as the eye can see! Sit in a quiet place, or in front of the TV; it's a good way to occupy your mind and focus on something other than what is going on in your depression. 

This outfit is work appropriate,  right? Hahaa only if you're going to yoga. Which I is...today should be a decent day.   #yoga #ootd #motd #lotd #potd #fbloggers #styleblogger #instablogger #bbloggers #instafashion #bohofashion #witch #witchy #pastelgoth

Try Meditation or Yoga

Let's talk about training your mind to ignore the bad thoughts....this is where that shit originated! I used to meditate when I was really young, nothing serious of course. But, it really used to calm me. I went through a lot of trauma in my early years due to several family deaths very close to each other. Through all of it, I found ways to calm myself, and I found myself meditating. In my later years, I have found yoga. And, although I don't get to go as often as I would like, I fucking love yoga. The class I go to is so chill and the lady's voice is so calming. Every time I step out of that class, I feel lighter and better with the world. Except that one time my car got towed....but that's another story hahah! 

PhotoGrid_1405819219249

Find a Friend & Talk It Out

During some of the hardest times in my life I was not physically able to face them alone. Fear, or something else kept me from being able to be brave. And then, there are other moments in my life where the pressure of the situation is so devastating that I can't keep it in, and it's about to explode out of me like lightening. During these times in my life, I need other people. And as much as I don't want to admit it sometimes, I am not able to stand on my own all the time. I have a network of friends and family that I have built over the years that are very close to me. I depend on them, and they can count on me. I may disappear from society from time to time to clear my head. But, in the moments where they really need me, I come running. Some of the most healing moments in my life have been the ones where my mascara is streaming down my face, Amanda Jean is crying just as ugly as I am, and the truth comes out. You need people to heal. You need people to heal. You need people to heal. 

I'm fan-girling a little hard right now. One of my favorite handmade shoppes liked 2 of my photos. Thank you @skylinefever ♡♡♡

Get Into Social Media & It's Amazing Community

Everyone is on social media nowadays. Well, mostly everyone...my dad refuses to get into it at all. He's good with Ebay and Google, but everything else is evil! But, for everyone else that doesn't think social media is the devil it can be a great resource for support and community. I've recently been dipping my toes into depression and anxiety communities on Twitter, and certain Blogs. Just like I'm writing this for you guys now, there's so many resources out there for us to heal. Depression is one of the highest diagnosed illnesses in America today. Which sounds like a terrible statistic, but the way I look at it-that's just a bigger group of folks to relate to and befriend. Beyond that, social media is a great self esteem boost. As shallow as it sounds, and as messed up as some folks may think it is; the instant gratification and boost feels great! Those little notifications that pop up in the top bar of my phone are great for my mood. I know that you shouldn't put much stock into all of that, but it does feel good. Your self esteem shouldn't be built on 'likes', but in the moment they feel wonderful. It's a nice little pick me up every once in a while. It's nice to see people admiring your work or photos. 



I hope this post gave you a few more ideas on how to cope with your depression, or at least opened your mind to different ways to cope. Some of these tips may not work for everyone, but you can see where I'm going with this. Find things in your life that are simple, distract you from the dark thoughts, and are free/cheap. The free/cheap is a big part of it. Money can bring on a lot of guilt and increase anxieties and make depression worse. Free is always better! Do you guys ever use these tips to self calm, or so you have other ways? I would love to hear about them, and open up a conversation about this subject!! Feel free to leave comments, questions, or stories below! 

xo. holly erinn 



No comments:

Post a Comment